Dr Christian Emanuel Gmelin
Diagnostics and therapy of acute and chronic diseases. Individual check-ups for disease prevention. Plus: Get a second opinion!
Your specialist for internal medicine in MallorcaDr Christian E. Gmelin, born in 1977, studied medicine in Germany (Erlangen) and Spain (Córdoba and Santiago de Compostela). As part of his training, he also worked at the Charité in Berlin, at the University Hospital Heidelberg (Hemato-Oncology) and in a gastroenterological practice in Hamburg.
He completed his specialist training 2005-2012 at the Fürth Hospital, teaching hospital of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. Here he worked for many years in the Department of Cardiology and Pulmonology, as well as in gastroenterology, rehabilitation, dialysis, ultrasound department, emergency room and intensive care unit. He continued to act as the representative and spokesman for the cardiological and pneumological physicians at the hospital. In 2009, he also gained the qualification to work as an emergency doctor.
Since 2012 Dr Gmelin has been working as a doctor in Mallorca, first at the Clínica Juaneda in Palma de Mallorca, where he cared for international medical and trauma patients and also worked in the outpatient clinic of Clínica Juaneda and the Juaneda International Medical Center. From 2014 onwards, in addition to his work in the Spanish private clinic, he initially worked as a substitute in the Clínica Picasso. Since 2017, he has been a full member of the team of the most modern medical center in the Balearic Islands.
Our commitment:The base of each appointment is a preliminary patient interview, a thorough physical examination, and a final consultation after performing all necessary tests in order to professionally assess the state of your health, implement the knowledge gained and find the best therapy for you. Taking enough time for your request is a matter of course for us.
Unique in Mallorca:All important examinations and studies of the
- Hormonal system
- Gastrointestinal tract
Your benefits:All important tests can be done in the same practice. You don’t need to ask for an appointment with many different doctors as it is common in the Spanish health system unfortunately. Thus you save time, avoid loss of information between different doctors and get your diagnosis and therapy much quicker!
Profit from our wide range of services:
Heart, circulatory system, lungsOur health and well-being depend essentially on a healthy cardiovascular system. At the same time, diseases of the heart, lungs and vessels are among the most common complaints and are responsible for the most deaths in Europe. All the more important are prevention, state-of-the-art diagnostic procedures and therapeutic methods in this field. No other outpatient medical center in Mallorca has comparatively comprehensive and modern examination and therapy options, such as the Clínica Picasso. Since we also have intensive care equipment, even treatments for cardiac arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation by means of electrical cardioversion are possible on an outpatient basis.
- Digital ECG at rest and ECG during exercise
- Holter (24 hours) ECG and long-term blood pressure measurement
- Colour Doppler echocardiography of the heart (transthoracic and transesophageal)
- Stress echocardiography
- Electrical cardioversion for cardiac arrhythmias
- Lung function at rest (spirometry) and lung function test during exercise (cardiopulmonary exercise test / CPET)
- Pulse oximetry (oxygen saturation in your blood)
- Chest X-ray
- Sleep apnea screening
Abdomen, bowel, internal organsAbdominal discomfort is very common. It includes pain in the gastrointestinal tract and esophagus, heartburn, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, flatulence, blood in the stool, the suspicion of food intolerances (fructose, lactose, gluten, histamine, etc.) and other symptoms. Careful and comprehensive clarification is essential in order to make the correct diagnosis and to initiate the optimal therapy.
New horizons in the Clinica Picasso: HD+ Endoscopy with i-SCAN Imaging Technology - an exciting new technology!
A competent and experienced team of doctors and care will now perform examinations with the latest endoscopy equipment. HD+ endoscopy together with the new i-SCAN Technology significantly improves disease detection. This new technology in a breakthrough in the identification of patients with esophagitis or other malignant diseases in the gastrointestinal tract and reduces misclassification. The gastroesophageal reflux disease is a common condition in the western world but less than half of patients present endoscopic abnormalities, making a standard procedure unsuitable for diagnosis. High definition endoscopy coupled with i-scan real-time image processing provides visual enhancement has shown potential for differentiation of lesions and possible biopsy, allowing early diagnosis of malignant diseases and treatment. Opinion leaders in Endoscopy confirm: High Definition Endoscopy combined with i-SCAN Imaging Technology is superior in the detection of adenomas and advanced lesions compared to High Definition Endoscopy alone. The endoscopies are being done during sedation, so you sleep during the examination.
- Video endoscopy of the stomach (Gastroscopy)
- Video endoscopy of the colon (Colonoscopy) including polypectomy if necessary (resection of intestinal polyps)
- Ultrasound diagnostics (sonography) of the thyroid gland
- Ultrasound diagnostics (sonography) and X-ray of the abdomen, bowel and internal organs
- Tests for fructose and lactose intolerance (H2 breath tests)
- Examination for gluten intolerance
Vascular systemThey say that we are as old as our vessels. Calcification of the arteries can lead to heart attacks, strokes, dementia, intestinal infarctions and amputations. Therefore, it is important to detect arteriosclerosis signs in good time and to take measures to prevent vascular occlusions. Furthermore, ultrasound can reliably rule out venous thrombosis, which in the worst case can cause a lethal pulmonary embolism.
- Circulation test of the arteries supplying the brain (colour Doppler sonography)
- Circulation test of the arteries and veins of the legs (colour Doppler sonography)
VaccinationsAll important standard and travel vaccinations are available in our clinic.
Intravenous therapiesAntibiotics, vitamins, iron, cortisone, etc. can also be given iv. in our clinic.
- Objective: To overview the current health situation and to record the cardiovascular risk profile.
- Thanks to our own laboratory, the most important parameters are immediately available to you:
- Blood tests (blood cell sedimentation rate, complete blood count including differentiation of the blood smear
- Troponin, NT-pro BNP and D-dimers (to rule out myocardial infarction, heart failure or thrombosis or pulmonary embolism)
- C-reactive protein (inflammation),
- Fasting Blood Sugar & HbA1c (Diabetes mellitus Early Detection)
- Blood salts / electrolytes
- Liver values & kidney values
- Blood coagulation test (Quick, INR etc.)
- Thyroid basic diagnostics (TSH)
- Hemoccult: Test for traces of blood in the stool
- Further laboratory tests are carried out in cooperation with German labs.
Check Up programme (see more details in “Check-Ups”)Today, a healthy lifestyle is more and more important. Prevention and timely diagnosis of diseases requiring treatment play an increasingly important role and awareness of health care is growing.
Maintaining your health is our goal since many years. The early recognition or prevention of diseases is important for a timely and effective therapy. Take the liberty for an individual and complete check up within one or two days. An examination of your cardiovascular system and your fitness is as least as important as regular dentist visits.
With the one-day check-up you undergo a series of medical examination stations in the pleasant and friendly atmosphere. At the end, the results may provide a detailed picture of the state of your health. You will have the opportunity to discuss all relevant questions, which are on your mind.
With the 2-day check-up we also may include endoscopic examinations of your colon or stomach or Holter tests.
- Evaluation of your medical questionnaire and in-depth initial discussion with your doctor
- Extended blood analysis
- Thorough physical examination and examination of all relevant organs
- Detailed final consultation with your doctor and a written intelligible final report.