Ear-Nose-Throat & Allergist Mallorca
Dr Frank Burkart
to your ear, nose and throat practice in Palma de Mallorca
This practice has been in existence since 1996. Since April 2022 I have been continuing the practice in the usual high quality with additional services. Through continuous national and international training, I am always up to date with the latest knowledge. I am passionate about medicine and my patients, and I look far beyond the boundaries of ENT. Inspiring medicine from an enthusiastic team is our motto here.
Visiting us should give you a feeling of familiarity, be fun, and take place in a relaxed atmosphere - people are welcome to laugh.
The person is the centre of attention here.
I like to take a lot of time for each patient in order to examine them with the necessary thoroughness and care. The findings are then discussed in detail, diagnosis and treatment options are presented. I work out the individual therapy concept together with the patient. If an operation is necessary, I perform it at the Clinica Juaneda. I have beds there and modern, high-quality technical equipment in the operating department. Imaging procedures (e.g. MRI) can also be carried out there for us within a very short time. The "International Breath and Sleep Institute" is all about improving your quality of life and well-being by normalising your breathing (nasal obstruction, snoring, breathing stops during sleep, mouth breathing, tight jaw, sleep disorder, cpap therapy, etc.).
You can reach us to make an appointment from Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm at (+34) 971 220 666.
Outside regular office hours, I can be reached for urgent emergencies at any time, including weekends, on (+34) 6 3434 0747.
I look forward to seeing you!
Dr Frank Burkart, MDStudy of human medicine in Ulm, Hull (England) and Tübingen
Doctorate in Tübingen with magna cum laude
1996-2003 Worked at the ENT University Clinic in Tübingen
2003-2022 ENT physician in private practice at Lake Constance with operating department
Additional qualifications include:
- Palliative medicine (Mildred Scheel Academy)
- Neurootologist (BV ENT)
- Sleep medicine diagnostics
- Myofunctional therapist (Myomentor Course Sarah Hornsby, The Breathe Institute, California)
In addition to general ENT medicine, I have the following specialisations:
1. International Breath and Sleep Institute:
This is my speciality. Many new approaches have emerged in the field of diagnosis and treatment of nasal obstruction, mouth breathing, snoring, obstructive sleep apnoea (breathing stops during sleep), poor sleep and dental malocclusion in childhood and adulthood for all age groups. Thanks to extensive further training, especially in the USA, I can offer a diagnostic and therapeutic concept that is almost unique in Europe, sometimes together with other specialists. If necessary, a sleep examination with one of the world's most modern and smallest sleep laboratory devices can be carried out, in part wirelessly, AT HOME IN YOUR OWN BED (polysomnography).
Information on the subject of mouth breathing:
- Many people are not aware that they occasionally, often or always breathe through the open mouth.
- Without adequate therapy, nasal obstruction with mouth breathing can lead to serious health problems.
- one should breathe through the nose 24 hours a day except when talking, biting, drinking and little else
- In the course of the first decade of life, facial and jaw deformities can develop, as well as ear, speech and swallowing disorders, ADHD and much more.
- a multitude of diseases can be the later consequence (e.g. sleep apnoea, chronic snoring, heartburn, heart attack, high blood pressure, chronic fatigue, face/neck/jaw pain etc.)
The following therapeutic measures are available to us at the Breath and Sleep Institute:
- Outpatient or inpatient surgery for respiratory improvement
- Sleep video endoscopy to identify the location of the airway obstruction
- Nasal breathing training
- In case of overweight, initiation of a dietary programme to reduce weight
- Myofunctional therapy of a tongue defect (often a central part of the therapy) and of the mouth muscles by a specialised speech therapist
- Separation of the tongue frenulum in the case of a shortened lingual frenulum and the resulting tongue defect
- dental/orthodontic expansion of the upper jaw to give the tongue more space
- apap therapy (treatment with overpressure during sleep)
- Hay fever, domestic allergies.
- allergy tests in the blood, on the skin, in the nose
- Medicinal anti-allergic therapy
- if necessary, nutritional supplements
- specific immunotherapy as injections or tablet treatment
3. Children's ENT:I am particularly specialised in the treatment of children. A loving approach, if necessary conversation and examination by the hand puppet Sam should make the visit to the doctor a happy affair. Children are not small adults. A visit to the doctor should be fun. I like to laugh and even more to laugh together with them.
Why do children come to us:
- hearing disorders in children
- chronic infections
- mouth breathing (here, far-reaching permanent damage must be prevented)
- speech disorders